We get this question so often we thought we’d put together a quick post. Your loved one is likely going through a lot of stress and anxiety during chemo. A chemo care package is a thoughtful way to show your support for a loved one undergoing treatment. No matter what you include in your chemo care package, be sure to express your love and support. Let them know that you’re there for them every step of the way, and that you’ll do everything you can to make their journey a little bit easier.
Top Requested Chemo Care Package Items
Though there is no one-size-fits-all solution, we’ve put together a list of top-requested items that we, through our own personal experiences as well as our reader feedback, think would be welcome additions to any chemo care package:
- A pillow and blanket. Though hospital beds are designed for comfort, they’re not always comfortable. A soft pillow and blanket can make a world of difference.
- Snacks. Chemo can be taxing on the body, so it’s important to fuel up with healthy snacks. Consider including some of your loved one’s favorite fruits, vegetables, and proteins.
- A book or magazine. Chemo can be repetitive and monotonous, so having something to read can help pass the time. Make sure to choose something lightweight and easy to hold since your loved one may be spending many hours in bed.
- A hand-written note. A simple but heartfelt note can mean the world to someone going through cancer treatment. Be sure to express your love and support, and let your loved one know that you’ll be there for them every step of the way.
More Ideas For Your Chemo Care Package
Along with the items listed above, consider including some thoughtful extras that can help to ease their mind and comfort them. Some other great items to include in a chemo care package are:
- A water bottle or thermos. Staying hydrated is key during chemo, so make sure your loved one has access to plenty of water.
- A humidifier or vaporizer. Chemo can cause the airways to become dry and irritated, so a humidifier can help to alleviate some of that discomfort.
- A journal or sketchbook. This can be a great way for your loved one to document their journey through chemo and reflect on their experiences.
- A comfy pair of socks. Cozy socks are always appreciated, and they can help to keep your loved one’s feet warm during treatment.
- A few items from home. Sometimes the best thing you can do is send a little piece of home. Include items like family photos, favorite books, or anything else that will make your loved one feel comforted and loved.
- A deck of cards or puzzle book. These can be great ways to pass the time and take your mind off of things.
- A set of earbuds or headphones. Sometimes all you need is some peace and quiet.
- A heating pad or cooling pad. Your loved one may experience pain or discomfort. A heating or cooling pad can help to provide relief.
- A set of prayer beads or worry stones. If your loved one is religious or spiritual, these can be a great way to offer support and comfort.
Cancer treatment is tough, but showing your support is easy with a thoughtfully prepared chemo care package. Fill it with things that will make your loved one more comfortable, like a soft pillow and blanket, and snacks that will give them the energy they need to get through treatment. Add in a book or magazine to help pass the time and top it off with a hand-written note expressing your love and support.
Get More Help
Chemotherapy is a grueling process, but the person you care for doesn’t have to go through it alone. You can show your support by putting together a chemo care package filled with items that will make their day a little brighter. And if someone you know is having a hard time financially because of a cancer diagnosis, please know free help is available. From copays and deductibles, to grants and care packages, check out our national directory of free financial programs for cancer patients here.